Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Macbook Lives

My macbook experienced some serious issues last Friday. When I boot I get the login screen because I have enabled the root account for various things. When I logged in as my normal user I got stuck at a blue screen that would flash intermittently. It was like the mac couldn't log in. After some painful trouble shooting here is what I did to fix it:

  1. login into the computer using the root account
  2. created a new user called xyz
  3. renamed the home folder  (/Users/xyz)  to xyz_old
  4. renamed my home folder to xyz
  5. rebooted
  6. logged in as xyz
I was able to login as the new user and all my settings were just as I left them.  I did have to type in my password for the keychain but that worked fine.  The best part is I still had my time machine back up just in case.

No comments: