Monday, March 5, 2007

My Tree


My Tree
Originally uploaded by Drizzt51.
A few years back the Big Flats community park decided to expand. The expansion required cutting down a huge wooded an area, an area where I used to play as a kid. I had this great spot where I would run off to read in the summer, this beautiful old tree. When I heard that they were going to cutting down all the trees to make the park bigger I really felt loss. I really couldn't believe that this tree would be stripped from the earth. We are talking about a tree that has in all likelihood seen generations of kids to adulthood.

I was away at college when the expansion was taking place. I knew this would be one of a hundred things that would be changed when I got home. I had been feeling the pains of change every weekend I was able to sneak home. More stores, less nature. The tree was just a part of this 'modernization.'

When I came home I went to the new park and to my surprise (and what a great surprise) the tree was still there.

I haven't decided what this really means. Was it impossible for those cutting away the Forrest to fell this tree. Did the tree strike them in someway? Perhaps they just thought it looked neat. Is it a symbol of my childhood or a symbol of my inability to grow up?

No comments: